#SLAtalk: Mobile Tech in Libraries – July 8
We’ll be collaborating with #UKlibchat on Tuesday, July 8th at 1:30 EDT to discuss the advancement of mobile technologies in information centers and libraries.
The first hour of this Twitter chat will follow the traditional #SLAtalk format (4 questions, 15-minutes each). The second hour will follow the #UKlibchat format of discussing questions set by participants (view and submit questions here).
- Tuesday, July 8th, 1:30 pm – 3:30 pm EDT (10:30 – 12:30 PDT / 6:30 – 8:30 BST)
Follow hosts @SLAhq & @UKlibchat, and be sure to include #SLAtalk AND #UKlibchat in your answers!
And, send a tweet during the first 5 minutes (1:30 – 1:35 p.m. EDT) introducing yourself, where you are, and what type of library you work in.
New to this? Check out “How to #SLAtalk” for a quick tutorial.
Questions to Answer (first hour):
- Q1 (first 15 minutes): Describe your vision of the library or information center in 2020. For example, what’s changed and what hasn’t? How essential is mobile tech? What uses do you see for near-field communication (NFC)/RFID, and is this tech integrated everywhere? And so-on. Have fun with this one!
- food for thought: “The Coming NFC Revolution?” by Mick Fortune, #UKlibchat
- Q2 (second 15 minutes): Does your library or information center have a “mobile-ready” approach to delivering online resources?
- please share, or share your ideas for incorporating an approach from scratch
- if you already have one, what have you learned, and what have you learned the hard way?
- Q3 (third 15 minutes): Get to know your users – what can you envision them wanting to do with their mobile devices? what would you like to offer via mobile? what are some barriers you would be dealing with?
- Q4 (final 15 minutes): which vendor partners do you know that are currently supporting your drive to become mobile ready?
Questions to Answer (second hour):
- View and submit your own here.
Reminder: include both #SLAtalk and #UKlibchat in each answer and reference the question number in each answer (especially important for the #UKlibchat portion).
So an example tweet would be:
@Annie_Bob: #SLAtalk #uklibchat Q1 that’s a great question, looking forward to hearing everyone’s experiences!
Feel free to pop-in and out throughout the session, and lurkers are always welcome. We hope to Tweet you this Tuesday!