SLA 2023 Annual Conference
Join us for the premier learning and networking event for librarians in business, legal, medical, military, government, academic and other “specialized” information environments!
We have some exciting news—the SLA 2023 Annual Conference will be a collaboration with the Medical Library Association (MLA)! This collaboration offers SLA members additional opportunities to learn and network with colleagues who face similar challenges in different settings.
The conference will feature 100-plus education sessions and networking and social events as well as opportunities to learn about the newest information products and services. You’ll come away with—
- fresh perspectives on core information management topics;
- a better understanding of developing trends and hot topics;
- ideas and insights you can put to immediate use in your job;
- new and stronger connections with key industry colleagues; and
- a greater awareness of the latest information resources on the market.
Make plans to join us May 16-19 in Detroit for MLA | SLA ’23!
Education Program Submission Process
The submission site for papers and education and immersion sessions for MLA | SLA ’23 is now open. We are seeking innovative, engaging conference sessions that will educate and inspire special librarians and information professionals. We invite you to submit proposals for immersion sessions, education sessions, papers, posters, and lightning talks.
There will be two abstract submission rounds for MLA | SLA ’23.
Round 1 (Sept. 21 – Oct. 31): Contributed papers, education sessions and immersion sessions.
- All submissions for collaborative contributed papers, education sessions and immersion sessions have the deadline to submit is 11:59 p.m. Eastern Time on Thursday, October 31.
- We will offer a limited number of live virtual immersion, education, and paper sessions. The majority of these sessions will be held at the in-person meeting in Detroit. You will be asked to provide your presentation format preference (live virtual session or in-person session) on the submission form. If your proposal is selected, you will confirm your decision in late January 2023.
- We will offer five presentation types. Both SLA communities and individual members are encouraged to submit proposals in any of the five categories:
- Program description abstracts describe the creation, improvement, and assessment of products, programs, technologies, administrative practices, or services conducted by librarians and information professionals.
- Research abstracts report on designing, conducting, and analyzing a research project.
- Immersion sessions are “deep dives” into a single topic lasting up to 90 minutes. The format may include a panel presentation or group discussion and should include audience engagement or other appropriate activities.
- SLA Contributed papers address library science, information management, or other issues related to the administration of special libraries and/or the provision of their services.
- SLA education sessions are engaging sessions that include live audience Q&A. Session length is 45 or 90 minutes. The 90-minute format must include elements of interaction with the audience (group work, breakouts, etc.). in addition to live Q&A.
Round 2 (submissions accepted Dec. 15 – Jan. 26): Posters and lightning talks.
- Lightning talk sessions will be held during live virtual sessions ONLY and not at the in-person meeting.
- Posters may be presented both in person and on demand or on demand only. Audio/video voice-over for accepted posters is available.
- Each abstract must be submitted separately and include all requested information. You can start your submission and come back to it at any time during the submission timeline.
- Before submitting your proposal, consider content level, format, and length.
- Accepted presenters will be eligible for a discount.
- Any information professional may submit a proposal to any of the presentation types. Program description abstracts, research abstracts, and immersion session abstracts will be reviewed by the MLA reviewer group. SLA proposals include broader professional topics and will be reviewed by the SLA reviewer group.
- Acceptance notices for papers, immersion sessions and education sessions will be sent December 6. Abstracts that are not accepted in Round 1 can be resubmitted for poster and lightning talks in Round 2. Acceptance notices for posters and lightning talks will be sent February 28, 2023.
- The two rounds for abstract submissions allow reviewers to provide feedback to authors and give those whose submissions were not accepted in the first round the opportunity to review feedback and resubmit their proposals as posters or lightning talks.
- Community events and meetings will be handled outside of this submission process.
SLA has resources available to help you with your proposal submission.
- SLA will conduct a webinar on September 28 for those planning to submit session proposals.
- You can find additional information in the FAQ section
Questions? Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or call +1.773.251.9373.
MLA | SLA ’23 is being presented both in person and on demand (virtually) to allow information professionals to choose the format that best suits their learning preference and budget. The in-person conference will take place in Detroit, Michigan, U.S.A., while the virtual component will feature a mix of pre-recorded and live-streamed sessions.
The pricing for the conference reflects the different nature of the in-person and on-demand experiences. Attendees who register for the in-person format will also receive access to the virtual content!
Registration and Financial Assistance
Registration for the conference will open in early 2023. Learn more.
Room blocks have been reserved at the following hotel:
Detroit Marriott at Renaissance Center
400 Renaissance Drive
Detroit, Michigan, USA 48243
Hotel reservations are not yet open. Learn more.
Sponsor or Exhibit at the Conference
There’s no better venue for showcasing your brand, launching your latest products and services, and winning new business than the MLA | SLA ’23. It’s the ultimate platform for connecting with leading library professionals who work in specialized information environments. You’ll gain visibility, build influence, and get your message in front of key stakeholders and decision makers.
Sponsorship and marketing opportunities offer a variety of opportunities to help extend your brand’s presence beyond the booth. From pre-show messaging to traditional onsite branding and attendee amenities, there are multiple opportunities for exposure and engagement to drive attendees to your exhibit.
Additional sponsorship opportunities are available; opportunities are flexible and customizable. Let’s create an experience to kick-start unrivaled innovation and collaboration.
To discuss your exhibit and sponsorship opportunities at MLA | SLA ’23 or year round opportunities, contact Mark Primuth at email@example.com or call +1-571-762-4379.
MLA | SLA ’23 will be providing health and safety guidelines for in-person attendees closer to the conference.