Students and New Information Professionals Subcommittee
The Students and New Information Professionals Subcommittee (SNIPS) is established to engage and energize students and new professionals to contribute to, and benefit from, SLA and the profession by participating as included and active members and developing their skills and networks.
The subcommittee shall be responsible for—
- working with staff to increase the number of student members who become full members of the association and who attend the annual meeting in order to develop the future leaders of the association;
- developing learning and networking opportunities to attract and retain students and new information professionals in order to ensure they have access to resources for career growth;
- planning events each year highlighting member benefits for students and new professionals in order to maintain engagement with members newer to the profession and the association; and
- collaborating with staff on programs and other issues pertaining to student members and graduates within the first five years of their career, throughout the year and at the annual meeting, in order to ensure they are receiving the most up-to-date resources for jump-starting their careers.
Subcommittee Composition and Terms
The subcommittee shall be composed of at least six (6) members:
- one (1) member of the Membership Committee to serve as the Chair;
- one (1) SLA student member;
- two (2) non-Board members within the first five (5) years of their professional career; and
- at least (2) additional non-Board members of the Association.
At least one (1) member of the SLA Board of Directors shall serve as the non-voting Board liaison. The staff liaison should be the director of engagement.
The SLA student member serves a one-year term, while remaining members serve overlapping two-year terms. A member starting their second year on the subcommittee should be considered for the position of Chair.
Chair: Laura Walesby