Students and New Professionals Advisory Council
Ten association members, one of whom is an SLA Student Member, and at least one, but not more than two, of whom has experience serving as an advisor to a recognized SLA Student Group and at least two, of whom are in the first five years of their professional career appointed for overlapping terms. The Student Member is appointed for a one-year term, with the remaining Association members serving overlapping terms of two years each.
The advisory council shall:
- advise the Chief Executive Officer on programs and other aspects pertaining to student members and graduates within the first five years of their career.
- develop learning and networking opportunities to attract and retain new information professionals.
- interface with SLA units and other SLA advisory councils and committees to consolidate information, mentoring opportunities, and educational opportunities for new information professionals. (Professional Development, Student Academic Affairs, Public Relations, etc.).
- identify emerging leaders in the profession.
- plan activities for the annual meeting;
- strengthen and expand student groups by working closely with faculty advisors and with faculty of appropriate graduate programs;
- work with the association staff to increase the number of student members who become full members of the association and the students who attend the annual meeting; cooperate with faculty in appropriate graduate programs related to information professional activities; communicate directly with student members to inform them of events, scholarships, awards, and activities related to their interests.
- develop content in social media forums to support and offer services to new information professionals.
Charge last revised February 2016 (Board Document OM0216-A01).