IFLA Trend Report Examines the Future of the Information Ecosystem
year’s worth of consultations with a broad range of experts, stakeholders, expert panels, and discussion forums.
The Trend Report identifies 5 high level trends which will affect and shape the future information ecosystem:
- New Technologies will both expand and limit who has access to information.
- Online Education will democratise and disrupt global learning.
- The boundaries of privacy and data protection will be redefined.
- Hyper-connected societies will listen to and empower new voices and groups.
- The global information environment will be transformed by new technologies.
The trends span access to information, privacy, civil engagement and transformation.
“The IFLA Trend Report is more than a single document – it is a selection of resources to help you understand where libraries fit into a changing society.” – IFLA Trend Report
We encourage you to explore the expansive Trend Report, and ask yourself where you will stake your territory in our future information ecosystem. You can begin your exploration in a few places:
- Trend Report Homepage
- Building the Trend Report
- Riding the Waves or Caught in the Tide? This Insights Document summarizes all the Trend Report information.
- See what questions are being addressed in the Trend Report Discussion Forum (must register to participate)
The IFLA Trend Report will serve as a road map for information centers & libraries well into the future, and SLA as a member of IFLA (International Federation of Library Associations) will continue to draw from it to drive substantive discussions in forums like the SLA Blog, #SLAtalk, and our LinkedIn Group.