Licensing Digital Content Certificate Course Details
The Certificate in Licensing Digital Content includes three courses on digital licensing that address the know-how and skills you need to understand, interpret, negotiate and manage licensing agreements tailored to your library or organization’s specific needs.
COURSE #1: INTRODUCTION TO DIGITAL LICENSING
A good license agreement can make it easy to access, use and share licensed digital content. Learn essential steps toward the best licenses for your library or organization, the relationship between copyright and licenses, licensing language and debunking licensing myths.
This course [Introduction to Digital Licensing] provided me with a fundamental understanding of copyright and licensing. I really liked that I was able to complete each lesson on my own time. Each lesson was concise enough to be completed during a busy workday but still contained meaningful content. The licensing skills from this course will be very useful managing relations with vendors for online research platforms and assisting in bringing in new platforms. I definitely recommend this course.
— Emily Newman, Librarian (November 2018)
SYLLABUS: INTRODUCTION TO DIGITAL LICENSING
Introduction to Digital Licensing includes 10 e-lessons addressing the following topics:
- Why Understanding Licensing Is Essential
- Key Licensing Concepts
- Copyright, Contracts and Licensing Agreements
- Global Licensing Issues
- Why Each License is Unique
- Essential Steps Toward Your License Arrangement
- Components of a Licensing Policy
- Ensuring Others Legally Use Content Under Your Licenses
- Debunking Licensing Misconceptions
- Digital Licensing Questions and Answers
COURSE #2: DIGITAL LICENSING TERMS AND CONDITIONS
This course delves into commonly found license terms and conditions, also called clauses, and when to use them in your licenses. Think of this course as a checklist for clauses to include in or omit from your license agreements. It’s essential for those who interpret or negotiate license agreements.
SYLLABUS: DIGITAL LICENSING TERMS AND CONDITIONS
There are 11 e-lessons in Digital Licensing Terms and Conditions on the following topics:
- Definitional Clauses
- Rights Granted
- Sublicenses, Interlibrary Loan and Fair Use
- Usage and Usage Restrictions
- License Fees and Pricing Models
- Licensor Obligations
- Licensee Obligations
- Authorized Users, Territory, and Ownership of Content
- Termination, Warranties and Indemnities
- Boilerplate Clauses, PartI
- Boilerplate Clauses, Part II and Best Practices
COURSE #3: NEGOTIATING AND MANAGING DIGITAL LICENSES
This course examines the art of negotiation for license agreements. It provides you with practical tips and strategies so your licenses reflect the terms and conditions your library or organization needs. It further helps you to effectively manage multiple digital licenses.
SYLLABUS: NEGOTIATING AND MANAGING DIGITAL LICENSES
The nine e-lessons in Negotiating and Managing Digital Licenses cover the following topics:
- The Meaning of Negotiation
- A Mindful Approach to Negotiation
- Preparing for Negotiations
- During the Negotiations
- License Format and Administration
- Future-Looking Licenses
- Managing Your Licenses
- Negotiating and Managing Licenses Q&A
- Best Practices for Negotiating and Managing Digital Licenses
WHO SHOULD ENROLL IN THE CERTIFICATE IN LICENSING DIGITAL CONTENT?
Our digital licensing course are primarily aimed at:
- Employees of libraries and other for- and nonprofit organizations that license digital content and e-resources such as databases, journals and periodicals
- Content owners such as aggregators and publishers
- Anyone who interprets, negotiates or manages digital licenses
The Certificate in Licensing Digital Content has given me a foundation on which I am now ready to move forward! I’m better equipped to work with vendors to procure licenses to different products. The email format was very convenient. During busy periods at work, I could set the course aside for a few days until I had time to dedicate to the lessons. I will now be assuming responsibility for digital licenses and contracts within my library. I will be able to use the knowledge gained in this course when renegotiating with existing vendors or creating licenses with new vendors. This is a great course!
— Emily Newman, Research and E-Services Librarian, Canada (January 2019)
I learned a lot about digital licensing. I recommend this course [Introduction to Digital Licensing] to librarians licensing electronic resources.
— Katherine Greene, Resources and Copyright Support Librarian, Georgetown University Medical Centre (November 2018)
I found this course [Introduction to Digital Licensing] to be a useful overview of licensing for librarians. The e-mail format allowed me to do things at my own pace. I really like the sample licenses that were provided and we will now be creating our own license template for use with vendors.
— Alana Pollock, Library Manager, Natural Resources Canada (November 2018)