Certificate in Licensing Digital Content
Seotember 20, 2021 — December 10, 2021
SLA’s Certificate in Licensing Digital Content is intended for anyone new to licensing digital content as well as those who would like to enhance their current knowledge base. The primary focus is on imparting practical skills you can apply immediately in your library or organization and to your individual circumstances.
The next cohort in the Certificate in Licensing Digital Content will receive their course materials beginning September 20, 2021. Students work at their own pace, so enrollment will remain open after the program starts. Course materials will be distributed through December 10, and students will have an additional three weeks to complete the course requirements.
The Certificate in Licensing Digital Content includes three courses:
- Introduction to Licensing Digital Content
- Digital Licensing Terms and Conditions
- Negotiating and Managing Digital Licenses
The program cost is $749. You may also utilize a group discount option of $675 each for 3 or more individuals from the same organization.
Want to learn more?
Get a taste of this program with a 30-minute online learning program taught by instructor Lesley Ellen Harris. Digital Licensing Tips and Secrets for Info Pros is available as an on-demand recording. Free for SLA members and $19 for non-members. Click here to Register.
A brief outline of each course included in the full certificate program is below.
Licensing Digital Content is a seven-week course for anyone new to licensing digital content or those who’d like to enhance their current knowledge base. We focus on practical skills you can immediately apply in your library or organization. And there’s time to review and discuss your individual circumstances.
- Three eTutorials on key aspects of licensing digital content that you can review at your own pace on your own schedule
- Virtual classroom meetings where you can ask questions, engage in discussions and network with other licensing professionals
- 24/7 online discussions
- Reference materials, tools and resources for use after you earn your certificate
- A Certificate in Licensing Digital Content for those who successfully complete the program
- A public listing of the certificate holders on Copyrightlaws.com
Synopsis of Courses
The three courses in the Certificate in Licensing Digital Content address the know-how and skills you need to understand, interpret, negotiate and manage licensing agreements tailored to your library or organization’s specific needs.
Introduction to Digital Licensing — A good license agreement can make it easy to access, use and share licensed digital content. Learn essential steps toward the best licenses for your library or organization, the relationship between copyright and licenses, licensing language and debunking licensing myths.
Digital Licensing Terms and Conditions —This course delves into commonly found license terms and conditions, also called clauses, and when to use them in your licenses. Think of this course as a checklist for clauses to include in or omit from your license agreements. It’s essential for those who interpret or negotiate license agreements.
Negotiating and Managing Digital Licenses — This course examines the art of negotiation for license agreements. It provides you with practical tips and strategies so your licenses reflect the terms and conditions your library or organization needs. It further helps you to effectively manage multiple digital licenses.
Learning Outcomes from the Certificate in Licensing Digital Content
By participating in Copyrightlaws.com’s Certificate in Licensing Digital Content, you’ll be able to:
- Describe the principles of digital content licensing
- Understand the interplay of copyright and contracts when licensing electronic resources
- Understand commonly used license terms and conditions
- Interpret license agreements and identify your enterprise’s unique needs with confidence
- Gain insight on educating end-users about how to legally use licensed content
- Negotiate the best possible license agreements for your library or organization
- Manage multiple digital content licenses effectively
We’ll work with you to:
- Enhance your breadth of knowledge of licensing principles
- Lower your risk of license violations
- Increase your knowledge of when and how to negotiate changes to licenses offered by vendors
- Find practical solutions to your day-to-day licensing questions and issues
- Gain the confidence you need to be a licensing leader in your organization
Who Should Enroll in the Certificate in Licensing Digital Content?
The Certificate in Licensing Digital Content is primarily aimed at:
- Employees of libraries and other for- and nonprofit organizations that license digital content and e-resources such as databases, journals and periodicals
- Content owners such as aggregators and publishers
- Anyone who interprets, negotiates or manages digital licenses
ABOUT THE INSTRUCTOR
Lesley Ellen Harris is the instructor for the Certificate in Licensing Digital Content and author of the book, Licensing Digital Content: A Practical Guide for Librarians, now in its third edition. You can see her bio here.