Welcome SLA’s 2018 President, Roberto Sarmiento!
Roberto Sarmiento, head of the Transportation Library and acting director of the Distinctive Collections Workgroup at Northwestern University, was elected by SLA members to serve as the association’s president in 2018.
Roberto has been an SLA member since 1989 and has served in several capacities, including chair of the Transportation Division and the Bylaws Committee. He will join the SLA Board of Directors in 2017 as president-elect, become president in 2018, then serve as past president in 2019.
The following SLA members will join Roberto on the board in 2017:
- Emma Davidson, Chapter Cabinet Chair-elect;
- Laura Leavitt, Division Cabinet Chair-elect;
- Zena Applebaum, Director; and
- Barbara Kern, Director.
The new board members will serve three-year terms beginning 1 January 2017. They will replace the following members, who are finishing their board terms at the end of this year:
- Jill Strand, Past President;
- James King, Past Chapter Cabinet Chair;
- Juliane Schneider, Past Division Cabinet Chair;
- Moy McIntosh, Director; and
- Karen Reczek, Director.
The election was conducted online beginning September 7 and ending September 21. The candidates were put forward by the SLA Nominating Committee: Anne Barker (chair), Tony Landolt, Saif Al-Jabri, Valerie Perry, and Hal Kirkwood.